I'm a single woman, and go out on dates with some frequency. Since the typical date often includes a meal, or may just involve meeting for drinks, my dating has an effect on my dieting. Here are my tips for coping:
1. Don't mention diets on a first-date. I think 9 out of 10 people would say it's a turnoff.
2. Chill out! First dates are stressful enough without having to worry excessively about sticking to your diet.
3. Make smart choices when choosing your food and drink.
4. If you have an alcoholic beverage, opt for light beer, wine or a cocktail made with water or diet soda. Avoid drinks such as margaritas, which have a lot of added sugar, and other drinks with caloric mixers.
5. For your meal, opt for a lean source of protein (such as fish, pork or chicken without the skin), prepared without breading, and two low-glycemic vegetables, preferably steamed.
6. If in doubt, eat too few carbs, not too many.
7. Keep your hand out of the bread basket!
8. Have fun.